A diary of all my mad projects.

I am glad that you stopped by - welcome to my world. Its a little mad and hectic as I sew, knit, embroider and generally craft my way through life. My newest resolution is to spend more time sewing - less time dreaming about it. I love to read comments so I am looking forward to hearing from you all.




Saturday, April 27, 2013

Burda Sewalong in May



After completing a reasonably sucessful Winter (our summer) 6pac from Stitcher's Guild here.  I have joined the Burda Sewalong which is hosted by Kat and kaitui_kiwi.  These wonderful bloggers are kiwi's like me, although they live in the coolest city in New Zealand - Wellington.  I love to visit as my oldest daughter is finishing an architecture degree at Victoria Uni.  The hubby and I spend weekends there visiting the bookshops (Unity is a fav), eateries, Slowboat Records and the amazing Global Fabrics. One of the wonderful things about Wellington is the exciting creative scene and I now have an invitation to join Kat and kaitui_kiwi when I next visit.  Whoo hoo looking forward to talking to other sewing people face to face.

Check out the sewalong pinterest board. to check out all the exciting ideas and garments.  The bloglist of participants is here.

I was fortunate to be gifted with 10 years of Burda magazines from 2000 - 2010.  I have sewn a few garments from Burda and know what I need to do to make them fit well.  I shorten the bodice, back and sleeve, widen the sleeve to accomodate my bigger than German biceps.  Usually I make a size 48 for tops and dresses.  I tried Burda trousers without success but I might give them another go after this sewalong.  My first item to make in this sewalong is garments from January 2013 Burda Plus section.



I have not been a fan of recent Burda Style patterns - the garments often have a naive quality that make them look like something that was homemade but in a bad way IMHO.  This might suit some people but I just look like a backwoods Nancy in them.  I was very happy to see the selection in the plus section was more fitting and stylish.  I love the draped coat which is first on my list to make.


















2 comments:

  1. Ohh I can't wait until you come visit, yay, it will awesome!

    I studied Design at Victoria too, but aaages ago now ;) Good luck to you daughter, it's tough, but worth it!

    Our next meet is scheduled for May 19th btw xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that draped coat is charming! I can't wait to see which fabric you choose! http://sewingforme.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete