A diary of all my mad projects.

I am glad that you stopped by - welcome to my world. Its a little mad and hectic as I sew, knit, embroider and generally craft my way through life. My newest resolution is to spend more time sewing - less time dreaming about it. I love to read comments so I am looking forward to hearing from you all.




Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Jam jam jamming!

Great fun in the household - son #2 had a friend over and they grabbed the Apple and the guitars keyboard and spent the time creating - I have yet to hear what they ended up with - I went to bed with earplugs but they were very happy with themselves.  I am happy as with all the money we spend on music lessons its nice to see it alive and well.  I do not think #2 should give up his day job - the White Stripes he is not but he loves his guitar and jamming.

Jamming of another sort was today when I cleaned out the freezers and boiled up all the berries I have been saving for Three Berry Jam.  A favourite with #1 son always turns out well.  I made a large quantity - 2.5kg Strawberries, 2kg blackberries and 1kg raspberries, juice of 2 lemons and 5kg of sugar -  which takes a long time to boil to setting point.  I find that smaller quantities help preserve the wonderful flavour of fresh fruit but just wanted it over and done.  Three Berry Jam is a family favourite only topped by Raspberry Jam which has to be guarded.

It is very satisfying to enter the kitchen and see all the filled jars waiting to cool on the bench - I have plans to bake Louise cake with one jar of the jam from the Edmonds Cook Book.  This is my husbands favourite treat and he is returns from work on Friday.

Louise Cake


Ingredients
75 g butter
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups Edmonds plain baking flour
1 teaspoon Edmonds baking powder
1/4 cup raspberry jam
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup coconut

Method
Cream butter and first measure of sugar until light and fluffy
Beat in egg yolks
Sift flour and baking powder together
Stir into creamed mixture
Press dough into a greased 20 x 30 cm sponge roll tin
Spread raspberry jam over the base
In a bowl beat egg whites until stiff but not dry
Mix in the second measure of sugar and coconut
Spread this meringue mixture over jam
Bake at 180°C for 30 minutes or until meringue is dry and lightly coloured
Cut into squares while still warm.

Makes about 24




No comments:

Post a Comment